Tuesday 8 June 2010

Focus-on-Imaging and its benefits pt2

That night, I checked Flickr.com to see if/who anyone had taken any shots of so far at the show. It seemed I'd missed a cracker! Lastolite had this gal called Katie Green on their stand. The gal had modelled for Ultimo and Wonderbra and had been in the papers as Lembit Opik's occasional army candy. I must have walked past the Lastolite stasnd in my endeavours to seek out Bowens, and either got timings wrong, or blinkered! How could I be so stupid!

I remedied this mistake next day, whilst getting a new flash, and some other stuff like presents and whatever..

I'd taken my 400D and my 70-350 zoom lens. Thought that should do nicely considering the distances involved. You can't get too many close-ups at 20 yds with a 28-55 mm lens.

Found the Lastolite stand, which was next to the Lowepro camera bag stand. Lowepro have in various forms, got good business from me, either in direct buying of bags, or bags being given with mag subscriptions.

There was a scrum at the Lastolite stand, which was positioned right in front of one of the two entrances to the show. Provided you came in that door, you couldn't miss it. I missed it, obviously..! I forget if we were just midway through a talk. Anyway, I took up a position, and when the situation allowed, shot away.



It wasn't a total free-for-all. There was someone talking through various things during the day, some from Lastolite, others, from companies sharing the Lastolite stand, and a few pro-photographers demonstrating lighting setups using Lastolite gear, and the handheld meter a guy had been demonstrating earlier..

See! I do remember things besides Katie being on duty! LOL!

I also recall the frustration the demonstrators had with folks using Nikon gear. Seems if you set a Nikon to a particular flash cycle, it set their flashes off too. Boy did they get peeved at inopportune flashes! I felt sorry really, because they had limited battery power for the day on their system, and if the flashes did dry up, no shooting Katie...

I soon found the folly I had made by not packing the standard 28-55 lens. Despite the distance between the barrier and the focus of attention.. my 70-350 lens would not allow me to get a full length shot of the gal! Being a family show, Katie's attire consisted of dresses more than other outfits, and I wanted to get at least a few long shots. I had to make do with crop shots...

I know, I suffer, don't I!




No comments:

Post a Comment