Tuesday 8 June 2010

Tackling my Studio Virginity

Google has it's uses!



A perusal through various blogs came up with assorted references to my Focus discovery, including blogs I check almost daily. One suggested that Katie had been spotted out on the town, with a sugar daddy! (All we know, he's not called The Stig, he's Lembit Opik!)

After a few false starts, including missing tutorials with Flash dealers, and a tutorial whilst we were on Holiday, 'It came to pass', as Lurcio said in Up Pompeii! that Katie was doing a shoot in darkest Northampton. As I have been known to go there in search of autographs and posters, I had a rough idea where it was. I arranged to drop off a fiscal deposit whilst returning from the autograph show.

I decided to combine the trip down with a visit to the Shuttleworth Collection. a collection of vintage planes and cars that I had heard about years ago. It was a fab time, which could bring other threads..

Eventually, I decided to make tracks, and slowly made my way to Greater Milton Keynes. The autograph show used to be held at Middleton Hall, so I went back to see how it looked sans-cubicles etc. Very strange. They were hosting a Garden Improvement show, with outdoor hot-tubs, and Alien Vs Predator figures made from metal wire.

Eventually, after passing the location I think 5 times, I plucked up the courage.. and called in.

Katie was shooting with another guy, and the organiser, Alan, who operates out of Saracen House Studios via Imagesexposed met me at the door, and showed me round the areas not in use.

Katie was soon finished with my predecessor, and I was introduced, and it was explained just how much of a newbie I was to shoot like this. Katie gave me a few ideas of outfits she had with her. I knew to what level the shoot was, and for a first time, was fine with it! LOL!

The studio had 3 fixed sets, with other areas available if you gave notice, or didn't mind waiting whilst stuff was shifted about. I was quite happy with basic white background sheet. 4 flash units linked to a zapper on my camera. Bowens gear, of course hahaha!



That's my first shot of the shoot!

It was great to finally use some proper gear. Flashes that would be consistent (I've had a few problems with flashes either overblowing it, or not registering) and a model who can give her attention just to me, rather than divide it between 20-30 horndogs at a camera geek show, and a demonstrator. The poses were I guess basic to start with. Classic over the shoulder, raised arm, look away etc..but heck, for a first time, you won't find me complaining! After a few poses, some of which are in the Flickr feed, and others are locked away in another online album... mwah ha ha! LOL We decided to change outfits.

Of course changing rooms are off limits to camera geeks, so had to rely on Katie's list of outfits. She picked a red dress.




No comments:

Post a Comment